Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My First Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Project Issues

Hi to all

Recently I worked on a MOSS 2007 project. During the development I faced lot of issues as I was very new on the technology but thanks GOD I survived.

Two of the issues I specially want to discuss here.

First, a strange link redirection problem and second large file corruption or failure while uploading in the Document Libraries.

Issue No. 1:

I have a Site Collection in which there are lots of Sites for different company departments. I was facing a very strange issue that if user click on any List/Library’s “Actions” Menu > Add to My Links” then user redirects to development server where the portal initially created. This was a really very strange problem for me because user’s My Site and Add to My Links at the top was working cent percent fine. First I thought it’s because of the backup and restore of the Site. But then after struggling a little bit I found a configuration entry in Root Level Site settings. Follow these steps to fix them.

Navigate to Root level site of your application’s site collection.

Click Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Collection Administration > Portal Site Connection. Verify that the link to the main content site and its name is correctly specified here.

Issue No. 2:

Second issue was more painful as some of the files while uploading to the server either got corrupt or didn’t upload at all. I was receiving Page not found error. I Started with 1 MB file . Bingo… it’s successfully uploaded. Then I tried to upload a near 50 MB file(but less then 50 MB). Ohh k. I got Page not found error. This mean the problem Is with large files. I check the Central Administration > Application Management > Site collection general settings and found that max file size is defined as 50 MB. After doing some Google I found that it’s the IIS issue and not the SharePoint problem. There is an special configuration entry needs to be defined in web.config to allow IIS to upload files more than 28 MB in size. Below is the entry needs to be defined inside the configuration tag region of the web.config file of web application.



No comments: